Becoming a Sea Shepherd Onshore Volunteer
"Volunteers don't get paid, not because they're worthless, but because they're priceless”
~ Sherry Anderson
Thank you for your interest in volunteering for Sea Shepherd Conservation Society! Our campaigns would not be possible without the vital day-to-day efforts of our many volunteers. We are always in need of volunteers to engage in outreach activities and fundraisers, obtain donated supplies, distribute information, conduct research, and so much more!
Take a look at our Sea Shepherd Chapter map to see if there is already an Onshore Volunteer Chapter in your area. But don’t worry if there isn’t because there are still ways you can be involved!
If you are not in an area with an official chapter you can instead set up a personal ‘Be An Ocean Warrior’ fundraising page. This is a way that you can directly support our campaigns wherever you are! At this time we are not accepting Onshore Volunteer applications from areas that do not have an official chapter.”
The Onshore Volunteer (OSV) program is hard work, and is not for everyone or for every Sea Shepherd supporter. It requires commitment, initiative, sacrifice and a willingness to go above and beyond. Fulfilling the role of a Sea Shepherd OSV is a big responsibility. It requires extensive interaction with the general public, event set-up and breakdown, and often times, long hours. Helping to conserve, protect, and defend marine life requires time, dedication and passion and most importantly the readiness to show up and promote our mission through public awareness.
Onshore Volunteers are an essential part of ensuring funding for Sea Shepherd campaigns and carrying Sea Shepherd's mission to the general public. Our campaign leaders, our directors and other staff cannot be everywhere at once, so our OSVs help bring Sea Shepherd’s important message to as many corners of North America as we can. The OSVs arrange participation in events, help to manage and transport our merchandise and informational materials, and interact with the public. Without funding and public awareness, Sea Shepherd cannot do the work that we do. We are wholly funded by donations, not corporate sponsors or political interest groups. Our vested interest is in the welfare and preservation of ocean wildlife. There is no other group or movement like Sea Shepherd, and our OSVs must reflect that uniqueness in the effort that they put into our Onshore Volunteer program.
The below are just a few of the things you can do as an Onshore Volunteer to support Sea Shepherd’s mission:
- Table at a local event, expo, festival or create your own tabling event
- Hold a benefit for Sea Shepherd at a local restaurant, pub or community meeting place
- Organize beach and other marine environment clean-ups
- Host a concert for Sea Shepherd
- Cultivate public awareness through distribution of Sea Shepherd materials and giving presentations at schools and community forums
- Host a Sea Shepherd party at home for friends and family
- Provide valuable skills like graphic design work, photography or donate art for auctions
If you have any questions about the Onshore Volunteer program, please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There is a $30 non-refundable donation required for each applicant. Not only does this help cover the cost of processing your application, but if you are approved as an Onshore Volunteer, this will help cover the cost of training, orientation, and the outreach materials we send you.
1) Fill out the online Onshore Volunteer application
2) Pay non-refundable $30 application fee online (you will be directed to payment page after filling out the application)
3) Email a copy of a valid government-issued photo ID (passport, driver’s license or state ID card equivalent) to email@example.com